Balance Your Leadership Role like You Would the Clutch Gear
Posted On September 22, 2021
Sometimes I feel like Leadership skills compare closely to the clutch pedal. If you’ve ever driven a manual shift car, then you’re most probably familiar with the clutch, the third pedal that you have to press in order to change gears.
My first encounter with the clutch pedal many moons ago was a complete disaster. My feet could not figure out what to concentrate on forcing me to struggle between keeping my eyes on the road or on my feet! Let’s not forget the stalling and flying over bumps but I digress.
The bad habit of riding the clutch and not learning how to balance it with the accelerator pedal applies to leadership skills. A balance is required in leading successfully through areas like delegation, vision and goals, and taking full responsibility of your leadership position.
In interviewing and interacting with many leaders from various backgrounds, I have come to a conclusion that wisdom is important. It is key while leading others.
Here are 7 wisdom nuggets from successful leaders I have interacted with:
7. Articulate your vision clearly and be demanding about it. What is your purpose and the central motivating aims of your life? Your team needs to fully understand your decisions, influence behaviour, goals and your ability to offer a sense of direction. Give them a meaningful and satisfying vision to work towards.
6. Always make the best decisions in the moment regardless of inauspicious entanglements. They say higher-ranking leadership is often a matter of excellent instinct. Making wise decisions when faced with a tough decision is key through assessment of the available information and selection of the best possible courses of action.
5. Choices have consequences. You will most likely get what you choose. Hands up with me-Anyone ever rushed into things and made a rush decision that made you cringe later and maybe even constantly lament and cry a little? Yes, choose wisely.
4. Hold on tight to perpetual optimism. Many leaders swear by the nature of buoyancy as a force multiplier. Remaining calm and being kind is key to the leadership journey because few people make viable and enduring decisions in an atmosphere of chaos. I mean, even the great book tells us in Philippians 4:6–7 to not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, to present our requests to God.
3. You have to DOOM any counsel of your fears or naysayers. A great leader is here for success and growth and never has time for all the Debbie downers and killjoys. Remember the lady who said, ‘’Ain’t nobody got time for that…’’
2. Please check on the small things and SHARE credit. It is imperative and goes without say that when something goes well, you must share the credit down and around the whole team. Ensure your team believes they were the ones who did it.
1. God and Prayer. Many leaders know and believe that God is the epitome of everything they do and their success journeys. Philippians 4:13: I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
Mastering the clutch pedal takes clever technique and time and so does leadership. Get in there and embrace servant leadership.